Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Hate It When I'm Wrong

As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

10 box-steps with 45# barbell
20 lunge jumps
5 chest-to-bar pull-ups


My man Russ asked before this WOD which segment I thought would be the "limiting factor." Having done lunge-jumps in the past I figured they would be a breeze, and the pull-ups were only rx'd a 5 per round so I answered that the box-steps might be a beotch once we got into it.

I was wrong.

The lunge-jumps got CRUNK after round 5... the box-steps definitely helped up the ante on these damn things and they got my lungs (and thighs) burning. By the time I made it to the pull-up bar I had to take a second and transport some oxygen across the sarcolema of my taxed muscle fibers and allow my buddy bicarb to buffer my systemic pH which seemed to be dropping like panties at prom. Long story short, I only pulled 9 full rounds, 10 step-ups, and 15 lunge-jumps.
Afterwards we had a little cookie where we partnered up with 2 others and did a rotation of 30 mountain climbers, L-sit hangs, and planks. The trick was that you had to hold the hang or plank for as long as it took each partner to blast through the mountain climbers. Simple right? Yeah, well I f*!ked it up. Little beknownst among civilians and other non-Marine military personnel, Marines do all their exercises at a double-count. For example, if you were told to do 20 push-ups you would do 20 four-count push-ups which in reality is 40 push-ups. Well, when my turn came around for mountain climbers I proceeded to do them as I was taught by Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. 60 mountain climbers later my agonizing buddies and their toasty abs were screaming my name. Oops...

Wrong again.

No comments:

Post a Comment