Monday, September 14, 2009

La Di Da Da Da

Tabata Something Else

I thought I would do well on this today. I was a bit apprehensive about how my hip would hold up on the air squats and still a bit sore from the weighted pull-ups, but overall I felt pretty good and was looking to set a new PR. I was off to a good start with the pull-ups (I did 86) but ran into problems going into the push-ups. Big problems. The last time I did T.S.E. I knocked out 76 of these suckers. This time it was a lowly 59! I dunno WTF happened... Chase offered that the lower number was a result of doing so many pull-ups, but I did 67 pulls (with grip problems) the last go round so that doesn't make a whole of sense. I just don't see how a 19 rep increase in pulls lead to a 17 rep decrease in pushes. I could understand if I didn't see any gain in the push-ups, or maybe a slight decrease in my rep count. But -17?! ARGH. Whatev... it is what it is.
Sit-ups were also an issue, but only because I was "encouraged" to use a larger ROM where I actually sat straight up at the top of the sits (instead of just touching my toes). This didn't really make the exercise any more difficult or demanding, but it really screwed with my rhythm and speed. Chase actually put is hand at a point which I was to tap with my shoulder as I came up. I don't think my torso could have been any more vertical. Long story short I was only able to knock out a total of 79 reps, another 17 rep deficit from the T.S.E. four months prior.
Last but not least were the squats. As I said I was apprehensive about these and for good reason. MY HIP WAS ON FIRE. The pain wasn't on EVERY rep but it would come and go in sets of 3-5. Fortunately I had a motivating partner (Jack!) and I was able to suck it up and keep moving. The result was a 4 rep increase over May's performance for a total of 110. Not good, but I'll take it considering the injury.
All in all the final count was 334... an 11 rep deficit from my previous T.S.E. I'm very anxious to have another go at this WOD very soon.

A final comparison for shits 'n giggles:
Pull-ups: 67 then/86 now
Push-ups: 76 then/59 now
Sit-ups: 96 then/79 now
Squats: 106 then/110 now
Total: 345 then/ 334 now

FML

No comments:

Post a Comment